Days ago, I installed Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS in my thinkpad and nuc.
Surprisingly, in 2020, I found that quite attractive comparing to other OS when coding and reading papers.
- quiet, responsive, much less disturbing
- completely no windows defender, mac app store update, or anything other than the OS kernel running in backgroud but toublesome to shutdown
- theoretically no rebooting required by the OS as no windows update or anything like that
- fan spins much less comparing to windows
- good command line;
- though i can run ubuntu in the windows hyper-v or use wsl; there do exist some need that interacting with the local filesystem or some system component like that
- i am not familiar with powershell
- simple privilege management methods provided by the OS
- much less unintentional waking up from sleep
- no onenote
- no functional samba support